I hadn't heard much Fred until i got this amazingly curated album in the mail and now I've fallen head over heels in love. Thanks Antiquated Futures for these amazing collections, this one being a particular favorite so far. I think Fred is a lyrical genius.
Favorite track: Susceptible To Ghosts.
On metallic gold-foil cassettes, hand-numbered, packaged in letterpress and offset-print boxes by Stumptown Printers Worker Cooperative, accompanied by Whatnow Press risograph-printed booklet with a personal essay by co-curator and designer Andrew Barton of Two Plum Press.
Includes unlimited streaming of Another Song About Riding the Bus (Selected Songs 2002-2020)
via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
Arguably one of the most prolific artists in modern indie music, over the past two decades Fred Thomas has fronted a dozen bands, played in dozens of others, headed up a half-dozen record labels, and released an incredible array of albums as a solo artist. His music spans from retro-pop to shoegaze, ambient-drone to bedroom-pop, folk-punk to surf-rock, but most often sits comfortably outside of genre, uniquely his own.
“Another Song About Riding the Bus (Selected Songs 2002-2020)" collects 20 less-heard tracks from Thomas’ massive discography. Assembled from limited-edition releases and radio sessions, it features material highlighting Fred's voice, culled from solo work as well as the output of Saturday Looks Good to Me, City Center, Failed Flowers, and Idle Ray. The album is a B-sides & rarities compilation that can also serve as a welcoming introduction to this endlessly versatile artist.
"Fred Thomas has no clear position within the web of indie music, and makes no promises beyond the fact that his work could not be by anyone else. The songs might sound wildly different, but they all sound exactly like Fred Thomas." - Various Small Flames
"an incredible cross-section of his output." - Bandcamp Daily
released October 26, 2020
1. “Somewhere” (from Up North, as Fred Thomas) (split with Troy Graham, cassette, Van Party Tapes, 2014)
2. “It Sounds Like They’re In Love With You” (from Sound on Sound + Summer Tour CD 2003, as Saturday Looks Good To Me) (limited-edition CD, Redder Records, 2006, first appeared on Summer Tour CD 2003, from an abandoned second SLGTM album, 2002)
3. “Get It Together” (from I Heard The Angels Sing, as Fred Thomas) (limited-edition CD-R, Ypsilianti Records, 2003)
4. “Obvious” (from Night Times, as Fred Thomas) (LP/CD-R, Framework, 2010)
5. “Cookies (Radio Session, KDHX St. Louis, Missouri, as City Center) (unreleased, 2011)
6. “Susceptible to Ghosts” (from Sink Like A Symphony, as Fred Thomas) (limited-edition LP/CD, Ypsilanti Records/Corleone Records, 2005/2007)
7. “Leaving In The Springtime” (from Ridiculous Rain, as Fred Thomas) (limited-edition cassette box set, Life Like, 2015)
8. “Ready For The Break” (from Failed Flowers, as Failed Flowers) (limited-edition LP, 25 Diamonds, 2016.)
9. “Snow Bight” (from Flood, as Fred Thomas) (limited-edition CD/LP, Magic Marker Records/Leroy St. Records, 2007/2009)
10. “When We Die There Will Be More” (unreleased, as Saturday Looks Good To Me) (recorded at Dub Narcotic Studios, early spring 2006, for a 7’’ that never materialized, later put up on the City Center blog in the 2008/2009 era)
1. “Summer of OMD” (from Old News, as Fred Thomas) (limited-edition CD-R, Ypsilanti Records, 2008)
2. “Can’t Ever Sleep” (LP-only bonus track from All Your Summer Songs + Sound on Sound, as Saturday Looks Good To Me) (Polyvinyl Records, 2003, Redder Records, 2006)
3. “Synthesizer Parts” (from Turn It Down, as Fred Thomas) (limited-edition CD-R, Ypsilanti Records, 2004)
4. “When They Built The Schools Pt. II” (from Ridiculous Rain, as Fred Thomas) (limited-edition cassette box set, Life Like, 2015.)
6. “Leave It Alone” (from Green Mansions, as Saturday Looks Good To Me) (limited-edition one-sided LP, Ypsilanti Records, 2007).
7. “Coat of Many Colors” (from Demo, as Idle Ray) (digital, self-released, 2020)
8. “When the Party Ends” (from Every Night (LP mix), as Saturday Looks Good To Me) (limited-edition LP, Polyvinyl Records, 2004)
9. “Cops Don’t Care Pt. II (Radio Session, Folkadelphia, WXPN Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) (digital Bandcamp release, 2015)
9. “The Ever Present New Times Condition (Daytrotter Session)” (as Saturday Looks Good To Me) (unreleased, 2013)
10. “I Heard The Angels Sing” (from I Heard The Angels Sing, as Fred Thomas) (limited-edition CD-R, Ypsilanti Records, 2003)
SELECTED SONGS SERIES
The Selected Songs series seeks to shine a light on under-appreciated and overlooked artists from the present and past. Each volume serves as a curated primer to an artist’s catalog, or a hand-picked selection of an artist’s lost or forgotten songs.
The series is released by Antiquated Future Records and designed by Two Plum Press. Printed in editions of 200 gold-ticket cassettes, each volume is packaged in letterpress and offset-print boxes by Stumptown Printers Worker Cooperative, accompanied by Whatnow Press risograph-printed booklets with personal essays by curators Andrew Barton and Joshua James Amberson to give context to the artist’s work.
Our long-running compilation series. Over the years has had tracks by artists like Broken Water, David Thomas Broughton, and Stephen Steinbrink, and members of Grass Widow, The Lowest Pair, and Lake. Antiquated Future Records